Friday, November 30, 2012

Passing of a Parishioner


It is with a heavy heart, but also in the sure and certain hope of the resurrection that I announce yesterday's passing of Luke Leavengood, son of Robin and Ian Leavengood, brother of Vivian Leavengood, into eternal life.

Funeral arrangements will be announced at a later date.  In the meantime, please continue to surround Luke and everyone he loves with your prayers, granting the family privacy at this difficult time.

For those who may be struggling with how to react in a healthy way to the needs of children at this time, I'd like to share the advice Fred Rogers gave me many years ago in regards to my own young son: When death comes, more than anything else, young children need to know that there are still people to care for them.  Above all else, they need to know that they are safe and loved.

I'd also like to share an observation made by the chaplain at All Children's Hospital, who told me that "St. Thomas is a strong, wide net."  Let us grow into that image for one another, knowing that it is one of the gifts Luke has given us.  

I know I speak of behalf of Father John as well when I remind you that we are available to care for you, not only during crisis, but in the time to come.

The Rev. Lisa B. Hamilton
Associate Priest

No comments:

Post a Comment